I love biscuits. Love ’em, love ’em.
When I was in high school, I made a batch homemade…and threw them out because they were gross. Repeat x12.
Finally I got the secret from a friend’s mom (who had worked at a southern country diner in her youth).
Don’t overmix it, sweetheart. That’s the secret to good biscuits.
It took a few years, but now I can make biscuits like the best of em. I am 90% certain it was my homemade biscuits that hooked my husband for good.
Well fast-forward five years…We are trying to eat healthier, and we have a son allergic to dairy. So the recipe has changed, but, luckily, they’re still just as delicious.
I recently adapted this recipe and loved the results. So much, in fact, that I went sprinting from my house with a piping hot one for my neighbor to taste and gush over. Does everyone love their food as much as I do?
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup palm oil shortening or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- dairy-free butter, or coconut oil, melted, for brushing
- Mix together all the dry ingredients with a wire whisk.
- With a fork, cut in the shortening. Make sure the whole batch is blended well, and resembles course crumbs.
- Add the cold coconut milk. Here is the part where you must be sure you don’t overmix! I mix just until everything looks moistened, and then stop.
- Sprinkle flour over a clean kneading surface. Dump out your biscuit batter, and pat down into a big circle about one inch thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter, or, in a pinch, a glass with flour dusted around the rims, to cut out biscuit-sized circles.
- Place the biscuits on a greased cookie sheets. I like to place them so they’re touching, so they’re soft around the edges after baking.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. When they’re done, brush with melted dairy-free butter or coconut oil. Enjoy while they’re hot!
If you like this recipe, check out these posts:
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Facebook!
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Twitter!
Follow Jessica on Instagram!