I recently learned that not all children jump out of bed starving. I was shocked! A friend of mine mentioned that her daughter wasn’t hungry for an hour or so after waking up. Not my boys! As soon as I get them up, they are clawing at my legs begging for oatmeal, sausage, and smoothies. It’s a race against the clock. Here are our dairy-free recipes for these breakfast dishes:
Rich & Nourishing, Dairy-Free Smoothie
- handful of frozen berries, preferably local or organic, since berries are covered in pesticides. It’s the ugly truth.
- one sliced banana
- one cup of coconut milk, coconut yogurt (like this brand) or make your own coconut kefir
- 1/4 c of olive oil, flax seed oil or 1/2 of an avocado (for fat!)
- 1 cup of calcium-fortified orange juice
- optional add-ins: ground flax seed, handful of fresh organic spinach
Blend in a blender and serve!
Berry Banana Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups of old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- T brown sugar
- handful of frozen berries
- 2T coconut oil
- one banana
Pour the oats into a microwavable bowl. Sprinkle your frozen berries over them, and drizzle the coconut milk on top. Then spoon the oil over it.
Microwave for 2 minutes, then stir in sliced bananas. Divide into two portions and serve to two hungry boys.
If you liked this post, consider following “Smartter” Each Day on Facebook or Pinterest!
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Facebook!
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Twitter!
Follow Jessica on Instagram!