The men in my house LOVE some sloppy joes. Okay, okay, I admit it…I love them too. Sloppy Joes are allergy-friendly (served with your choice of dairy-free or gluten-free bread, or even on top of a baked potato…yum!). And contrary to their bad rap, they can be healthy (er). Here’s how. This recipe is my own, and so good. We lick the pan, honest to goodness. I based my sauce off of America’s Test Kitchen BBQ sauce recipe, found in their Family Cookbook.
- 1 lb ground turkey or grass-fed beef
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 1/2 c shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup of cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 2T mustard
- 2T (heaping) brown sugar, stevia, or sucanat
- ground pepper
- splash of hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Brown the meat, onions and peppers.
- When meat is fully cooked, add shredded carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix together remaining ingredients in a bowl. Taste it…you may need more sugar or a titch more mustard. Ya know?
- When it tastes good, pour into meat and cook until heated. Enjoy over bread or baked potato, and lick the pan because it’s so good!
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Facebook!
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Twitter!
Follow Jessica on Instagram!