note: this post contains affiliate links.
I am nearly seven years into this parenting gig, and JUST NOW affording myself the privilege of reading again. I guess I thought I didn’t deserve to read books anymore, because, how could I, when there are unholy amounts of Cheerios squashed in the couch cushions? Get busy on the real work, mama!!
I think the hypocrisy of it all hit me when I kept nudging Sam, my oldest and a newly-inducted member of the Chapter Book Club, “Sam, reading is awesome, isn’t it? What will you pick next?”
And then he never saw me reading.
It felt odd. And I realized it was time. I want to be a reader again. Truly, this goal of 11 books in 2016 is downright pathetic. But my hope (and inkling) is that once I catch the bug again, the actual total will rise beautifully. Here are the ones I will definitely read this year!
My 2016 Reading List:
- Seasons of a Mother’s Heart – Sally Clarkson. I’m a big fan of Sally Clarkson (loved Mission of Motherhood so much!) and this one seems to have terrific reviews. I am hoping it encourages me!
- For The Children’s Sake – This is by Francis Schaeffer’s daughter, Susan, which kind of intrigues me. I have always looked up to Francis Schaeffer, and had no idea he had children who wrote? It also has excellent reviews and is one I frequently hear recommended by homeschooling moms. I need a little dose of homeschooling direction!
- The Nesting Place – I cannot WAIT to read this! I’m been wanting to for ages! Doesn’t the cover alone just perk you right up? 🙂 Decorating, HERE I COME!
- The Strong-Willed Child – I think I read this back when Sam (my oldest) was 5 months old, and I *thought* I was dealing with a strong-willed child. 🙂 I love Dr. Dobson and am anxious to hear his practical advice, now that my children are actually grown, and actually do exhibit their wills around here.
- You and Me Forever – I know, I know…I raved all about this book in this post and told you I was going to read it. We started! One of my goals to finish. Check out the video in this post if your marriage needs some purpose.
- Sleep, It Does A Family Good – I’ve heard good things here, interested to read some of the very practical statistics about sleep – for grown-ups and kids.
- Fit To Burst – I’m already reading this one, and I’m savoring it like the bites of a decadent chocolate cake. I love this girl so much. Her earlier book, Loving the Little Years, TRULY impacts my day-to-day parenting in a way that I cannot remember a book ever doing before.. If you are a mom and you have not read Loving the Little Years, go get it right this instant. Highly recommend both.
- Money-Making Mom – I’m totally reading this book because I love the author, Crystal Payne (Money-Saving Mom). I admire her so much, and now that my blog is truly becoming a business, I’m excited to go through this book for practical Mom-Business tips.
- Real Fast Food – I follow Trina Holden on Instagram, and I’m inspired by her yummy, do-able, creative meals. Her food looks delicious, but not fussy or bizarre. Learning to widen my “real food” cooking skills is one of my goals this year and I know I’m going to love these recipes.
- Teaching From Rest – I think I’m MOST excited to read this one. I mean golly, does that not sound comforting? “Teaching from rest”? I don’t know what it means exactly, but I’m in. 🙂 Many homeschooling moms speak highly of this one, too!
- All The Light We Cannot See – Yeah…the only fiction on the list! Not too good for a former English major, huh? I typically enjoy non-fiction, but what the heck…this one has been recommended by so many people, I just need to read it.
How about you? Read any of these? Do you have specific books you plan to read in 2016?
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Facebook!
Follow "Smartter" Each Day on Twitter!
Follow Jessica on Instagram!